Are you thinking of a career in Healthcare?
The Step Up Youth Program offers high school students aged 14-18 an opportunity to “Step Up, and….”
-C.A.R.E. (practice Island Health’s C.A.R.E. values – Courage, Aspire, Respect, Empathy)
–Learn about healthcare, mentoring for clinical and non-clinical careers
-Lead by leading programs and activities, creating new programs
The Step Up Youth Program is an opportunity to immerse yourself in the medical community allowing you to see many of the different positions in a hospital and if a career in medicine is for you!
Volunteer shifts typically run 2 hours centring around:
- Admin Support
- Discharge Program
- Musical Entertainment
- Social Support
- Special Events
Applications are now open! The Step Up Youth volunteer program is designed to support youth who are interested in learning about a career in healthcare.
Priority will be given to youth who participated in our virtual program, and we are recruiting for a limited number of volunteer positions for the following Island Health Facilities:
- Saanich Peninsula Hospital, Saanichton
- Royal Jubilee Hospital, Victoria
- The Summit (Long-Term Care), Victoria
- The program is for youth 15-18 years of age (no exceptions currently for those younger than 15. Applicants must turn 15 prior to the start of the program);
- Commitment is generally one (2hour shift) once a week after school for the duration of the school year (September to April);
- Volunteer duties vary based on location and each facility’s needs.